Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Monday, January 17, 2011

Cupcake Filled Weekend/Filled Cupcakes?

I've been a terrible blog owner.
I made two batches of cupcakes on Sunday, and didn't blog about either!

We celebrated Christmas with my mom on Sunday b/c she had surgery in December.
I decided to surprise her with some cupcakes!

Now, I still had some of the blueberry jam left from the blueberry buttercream.  Being...frugal...I decided to use it up.  No Jew jokes, please.  I spend a fortune on baked goods that I just give away.  Cut me some slack for being cheap.
Anyway, I decided to make a blueberry pudding filling--yum!

I didn't really want to spend a whole bunch of time developing a new recipe, so I just changed the recipe from the vanilla bean cupcakes to almond extract.  I used all cow's milk and added an extra 1/4 c. of flour.
You can scroll down for the recipe.  I don't really feel like copying/pasting.  I'm lazy.

Anyway, I only took one picture because...I suck.
It's not even a good picture.


Now, this blueberry business.  It's really quite simple.  I took blueberry pudding mix, 1 2/3 c. milk, about 1/4 c. of the blueberry mixture, and 1/4 tsp of almond extract.  I whipped it up for a few minutes, and I stuck it in the refrigerator.
VOILA!  Instant blueberry goodness.  I filled with a Bismarck tip again.  Super easy.  "Stick and stuff".  That sounds horrible.
At any rate, I made a super simple buttercream--I don't usually use real recipes for American buttercream.  It's butter and confectioner's sugar.  How hard can it be?  Vanilla bean, almond extract, and milk too.
So yea...I took them to my mom's house, and they were inhaled.  I took 12 cupcakes total, and didn't bring any home.

The best part of this cupcake filled weekend?  Besides the blueberry goodness?
My mom got me one of those mini cupcake makers!  She also got me some Paula Dean cupcake mixes, liners, and a sushi set.  Baller!
I have been wanting to buy one of these little things for a while now.  Cupcakes in 5 minutes?  Sign me up!

Usually, I don't use cake mixes.  It's not that I'm against them on principle.  I just have so many recipes that I already want to try out.  Why wouldn't I spend an extra 5-10 minutes making it from scratch?
Buuuut, it gave me an excuse to make chocolate cakes for everyone who loves them.
In case you can't tell...I don't really dig the chocolate.  Horrible Jew.  I KNOW!
Don't get me wrong, I can get down on some M&M's when I'm really in the mood for them. 
I just...I'm more of a fruit and vanilla girl.  Can you tell?
I'm sure you can.

Now, no cake mix is ever going to be as good as homemade, but I can try, right?  I added a teaspoon of vanilla and about a tablespoon of peanut butter.
Oh yea, I said peanut butter.
Peanut butter frosting too.
The mini cupcakes turned out AMAZING!


Peanut butter frosting time!
Probably one of my favorites.  Peanut butter anything is good in my book.
Let's see...I kind of just eyeballed it, and it turned out a little dry.  It kind of works with the cakes though.

Peanut butter frosting
5 Tbs butter
1 c. peanut butter
3-4 c confectioner's sugar
cream

Cream the butter and peanut butter.
Alternate sugar and cream until you reach the desired consistency.
Whip until it is as fluffy as a peanut butter cloud.

Mmmm.


 I brought these to work, and they were gobbled up.

Apparently Paula Dean does cake mix right!
The mini cupcakes came out very fluffy, but the regular cupcakes I made looked a little...weird.  I haven't tried them to see what the texture is like.  They just don't look as...fluffy and delicious.

Okay, more yummy pictures, and I'm getting in my La-Z-Boy.




What's next?  I've had a hankering for red velvet lately, but I'm kind of thinking I should try something...different.
Perhaps I should stray from the cupcake liners altogether?
Put down the muffin pan?
Abandon my habits for a week or two?

Okay, me NOT making cupcakes is a pretty lofty goal.
Maybe I'll just got out liners, and go for pineapple upside down cupcakes?
Maybe a more savory fare?
I welcome your suggestions as always.

A big thank you to the people who read this.  I know it must be terribly difficult to read this, and not get to partake in the deliciousness, so if you would like some nums...let me know.
I always take requests.  I just can't promise that your request won't get eaten.




No comments:

Post a Comment