Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Blueberry muffin fail.

Imagine waking up to the smell of homemade blueberry muffins and bacon frying on the stove....
My husband's life does not suck.
Let me just say that.

I woke up extremely late today with a craving for eggs benedict, but we didn't have English muffins, and I didn't really feel like poaching eggs.  Sigh.
What's a girl to do?
While perusing brunch ideas online I decided to make my daughter's favorite because she really deserves it.
She's not spoiled or anything...she's just my main cupcake/frosting taster.  It's a hard job.

I went on a blueberry muffin rampage.  I found a recipe online, and decided to edit it a bit.
Apparently I didn't edit it enough.  They were extremely dry even though I added more milk than the recipe called for, a 1/4 tsp of almond extract, and substituted vanilla sugar for the sugar.  They definitely needed more butter, but at least the flavor was on point.
This is the recipe I used, but I wouldn't recommend it.
If for some reason you DO want to use it, I would use at least another 1/4 c. of butter, more sugar, and maybe another egg.
Actually, just use a different recipe.  Hah.


That, ladies and gentlemen is what I lovingly call a muffin toppy muffin.
More to...love, right?
I know, it's massive!

So...it's around 11:30 when my husband stumbles out of our room.  He smells the air and says something like, "Man, what are you MAKING in there?"
Yea, I'm an awesome wife.
Homemade blueberry muffins, fried bacon, and scrambled eggs cooked in bacon grease.
Have I mentioned that I'm the worst Jew ever?

Muffins passed the husband and baby test, but I was less than impressed.
Wish me better luck with my next blueberry adventure!
Thanks to Dave for the suggestion, by the way.

Flavor of the week?
Some sort of vanilla cupcake with a lemon curd filling and blueberry Swiss meringue.
Om nom nom.

1 comment:

  1. They look good as hell, and I always load my blueberry muffins down with butter anyways so that part doesn't bug me. I would still need to try them though to fully asses them, especially since they are my favorite muffin ever although your creations might birth a new favorite for me.

    ReplyDelete