Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Friday, January 7, 2011

Coconut Cupcakes w/ Cocoa-nut French Silk Frosting

Any one who knows me knows that I have been incredibly sick over the last week.  Some of the medicine I'm on makes it hard to sleep, so what do I do when I wake up at 4 am?
Bake a batch of cupcakes!

I stole the recipe for the cakes from Honest Fare, but used standard cups instead of mini.  I got 23.5 cupcakes out of the batter.



The cakes came out sweet and a little spongey.  The texture was amazing--I ate the "runt" immediately while still warm.  The taste of the butter is very apparent, and there's an underlying sweetness of coconut, but it's not overpowering.



I adapted my classic French Silk Frosting to be a Cocoa-nut French Silk.
I used
1 1/2 sticks of butter--softened
3 c. powdered sugar
cocoa powder to taste--I used 2 t
1/2-1 t vanilla
3 T coconut milk--room temperature
shredded coconut to taste--I used 1/4 c.

Cream the butter and 2 c. of the sugar--2-3 minutes.
Add vanilla and coconut milk and beat for another 2 minutes.
Slowly add in the cocoa powder, tasting as you go.  You don't want the cocoa flavor to overpower the frosting.  Beat for 1 minute.
Add remaining sugar and beat for 2 minutes.
Beat in coconut to taste and desired texture.
Garnish with cocoa snow* and more coconut.



*Cocoa snow is cocoa powder and powdered sugar.  No big deal!  Hah.

And...here you go!
The end product was sweet, but none of the flavors were overpowering the others.  The cake was very spongey, like I said, so it contrasted with the very light frosting.  I might make the frosting without any coconut in it next time b/c apparently my daughter hates it.  Hah.
You can't win them all.  Who gets cupcakes for breakfast anyway?

5 comments:

  1. I'm with Emma lol, I wouldn't hate it but for some reason the texture of coconut in frosting is a little off putting to me and that could be why I'm not a fan of coconut cream pie either. Anyways as always stellar job sounds amazing wish I was there to be the first to taste them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're insane! Coconut cream pie is my favorite pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love for you to explain your technique of putting the frosting on your cupcakes. How do you get it to go on in that swirley pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a Wilton 1M open star tip. I hold the bag about 1/4" away at 90° and go all the way around once. Then I make a smaller swirl on top of the first one. Sometimes I just do it in one motion, but when I want a lot of frosting, it's best to do it in two layers.
    Personally, I like a lot of frosting. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, towards the top I do a rosette pattern by twisting the bag while still pushing out frosting. Just make sure you stop squeezing before you pull up.
    I think it looks fancier that way.

    ReplyDelete