Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Recipe of the Week! Vanilla Almond Cupcakes with Blackberry Buttercream

The flavor of the week was vanilla/almond.  Looking back, I should have just said almond b/c these cupcakes pack a mean almond punch!
I used Love and Olive Oil's recipe.  I've been reading her blog for a while now, and I found this recipe last year.  I had been meaning to try it out with my friend Chelsie, but we never got around to it.
This was a relatively simple recipe.  The actual cupcakes are vegan, but I used butter instead of coconut oil.  I have 7 pounds of it in my refrigerator.  Sue me.
So now...be prepared to revel in the glory of the BEST cupcakes I've ever tasted....


The taste of almond is the most powerful flavor in the cupcakes.  I got my almond extract from Penzeys Spices, and it's pretty strong stuff.
I thought the buttercream turned out kind of wet, so I'll probably use more powdered sugar next time. 
The texture is AMAZING!  They kind of fall apart because they're so light.


All in all, these were...the best cupcakes I've ever had.  I can't seem to find words to describe them.
My only complaint was how SWEET they are.  I will probably add a little bit of lemon zest to the frosting next time b/c between the almond and the vanilla...they were just ridiculously sweet.

What should I make next week?

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Those sound sooooo amazing, I wish I had one right now. The lemon zest sounds like a really good idea to offset the sweetness. I'm thinking you should definitely do something blueberry next because everyone loves blueberries. Oh yeah, when you make the chocolate cakes with the balsamic raspberry/pom frosting let me know so I can be there as soon as you get them done I am very interested in trying those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will get right on that, Dave.
    I have a post coming up later that you might appreciate.

    ReplyDelete