Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Apple pie...because this is America.

Anyone who has known me for most of my life knows that I've always loves baking. When I was in middle school I made a hybrid of two of my favorite apple pies. My grandmother's apple pie and a pie that my stepdad's sister made. I seem to have lost the recipe I made through the years, so I didn't make apple pie for over 8 years.
Ridiculous.

I set out to recreate my apple pie recipe, and I believe I have succeeded. I didn't think I'd be blotting about it, so I don't have many pictures, but I've been commissioned to make one for a neighbor, so I'll take more then.

Now...the components.
My grandmother made her own crust with shortening. I used a combination of shortening and butter...frozen. The crust was unbelievably flaky.
The filling was granny smith apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, vanilla sugar, flour, and lemon juice. I could have eaten the filling raw...and I did.
I used a crumble topping instead of more pie crust because I don't like too much crust on my apple pie.

It was so good...I could have eaten all of it in a day.
Okay, I ate almost half of it in a day.
My pie!

More pies to come...Thanksgiving is coming up!


No comments:

Post a Comment